Ever heard of FERPA?
It stands for the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, and it protects your rights and privacy when it comes to your records. Virginia Tech complies with FERPA, so be sure to authorize release of information via the FERPA disclosure web form on Hokie SPA if you want anyone other than yourself to have access to your educational records and student account. Your designated family member must have your student ID number and their assigned FERPA passcode to contact our office with questions.
- They handle the money!
- Payment deadlines and penalties apply to you, not your family or guardians.
- Tuition, comprehensive fees, course fees, dining plans, housing charges, and software charges all make their way through the Bursar’s Office.
- Work with your designated family members to become authorized payers through Hokie SPA. Your family or guardians will need this to view and pay bills.
- All students are required to enroll in direct deposit, through Hokie SPA. It’s a critical timesaver in getting your refund from financial aid – money you can use for books, computers, supplies, and more.
- Work with your designated family members to establish Guest Account Access. Your family or guardians will need this to add money to your student dining plan (Flex Additions and Dining Dollars). They may want to consider making a deposit to your Hokie Passport account early to ensure that laundry doesn’t come home with you for break!
- More information for families is available through Hokie Passport Services.